Sunday, April 18, 2010

Welcome to Yoga Lin 101

Why? Why am I creating another blog when I don't even have time for Eason Chan 101?
Simply because I'm not thinking straight. Well, that and several other reasons:

The same reason I started Eason Chan 101: because I can't find any updated Yoga Lin news in English anywhere.

I am paying my dues as an avid listener. Like with Eason, I don't claim to be a fan of Yoga simply because I won't do a tenth of what fans would do...then again, nine-tenths of fans won't create a blog to update news on a particular artist.

This blog is a way to show my appreciation for all the good music Yoga has brought to my ears (likewise with Eason Chan 101 for Eason). I honestly do not know how else I can show my appreciation because I don't do fan-like things such as buying multiple versions of one album, stand in line for an autograph, attend functions and scream at the top of my lungs (not that I have that sort of access anyway), etc.

This blog is a way of spreading information to an audience who would not be able to get it any other way due to a language barrier, and this is my "thank you" to Yoga (and Eason).

Why Yoga Lin, of all artists?
Senses Around (感官/世界), Yoga's second solo studio album.

I honestly cannot recall why I listened to Senses Around in the first place, but I know I nonchalantly listened to it for the first time, at the end of 2009. It wasn't until the beginning of April 2010 that I pulled it out and gave it another listen. Again, I have not the slightest clue why I even decided to give it another listen. To make a long story short...I felt his voice when I listened to it the second time round. I rarely "feel" voices, and it is that rarity that leads me to this blog creation. [I feel like I'm judging a singing competition by saying I 'felt his voice'.]

To clarify...
Yes, I heard Yoga had a similar musical style to and had versatility like Eason, however, that is not the reason why I started listening to Yoga's music (hence, I had not heard Mystery (神秘嘉賓), his first album, prior). It is only after finding out more about Yoga that I realized his vast similarities to Eason (they have more in common than music -- a separate post on this later). Although I like Yoga's music for reasons on its own, I cannot deny that it just might be his similarities to Eason that attracts my attention.

Lastly...
I know I'm going to jinx it by saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway (and you can blame me if the following doesn't happen).

Senses Around is so good (in my opinion), I'm going to go ahead and modestly say that the album, the songs, and Yoga's performances will get AT LEAST one nomination at this year's 21st Taiwan Golden Melody Awards.

3 comments:

  1. i wan to give u a very big 5 hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Yoga. I wish there were more songs and subbed interviews in English with him! I speak English, so I don't really understand anything Yoga sings, or says! But that doesn't stop me from listening to his songs. Music really is a universal thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found Yoga last year, but lost him due to never finding out his name, however I've found him again and my love has swelled for him since. I've been listening to Asian music for a little over 3 years now, and Yoga is one of my favourite artists - and I have to agree with the other anon, music IS universal.

    ReplyDelete